Marni speaks to the modern ‘vintage enthusiast’…which is ever-present these days. Marni’s designs have been noted as being ‘quirky, feminine, off-beat, and funky’…sounding like every friend we’ve ever had. But for years, most of us ladies who gush over Consuelo Castiglioni’s designs haven’t been able to shell out the big bucks to purchase them. Mark March 8th in your calendar, because the day is drawing near for this coveted Italian design house to join the affordable bandwagon.
On Friday night, a private LA party was held to reveal Marni’s new line for H&M. Among the attendees – Drew Barrymore, Winona Ryder, Jessica Chastain, Sofia Coppola, Milla Jovovich, and Rashida Jones. All were decked out in Marni’s new looks for the event, to support the new venture with the Swedish retail clothing company. Although Marni does appeal to women initially, they are also releasing a menswear line with H&M. Both collections are set to be released to the public on March 8th…and rumor has it, online as well.
See a video from the party below, the Sofia Coppola directed lookbook and photos of the full collection:
The final day of New York Fashion Week came with some unfortunate news as the previous night we heard of the passing of fashion icon and socialite, Zelda Kaplan. Her unique style and grace will be missed.
She told The Post in 2010, “I wish more people would have [clothes] made for them. But so many Americans want to look like everybody else . . . I hate to wear what everybody else is wearing . . . I don’t think people should be happy to be a clone.”
As in all aspects of life, the show must go on. Especially in the world of fashion. We decided to feature the Ralph Lauren Fall 2012 RTW Collection today as our favorite pick. The collection shows his legendary range so well, it’s capable of standing alone.
For starters, the boyish looks that kicked off the show set to the soundtrack of Downtown Abbey offered an updated, Ralph Lauren touch to what could have been a dated look. Animal prints, fur collars, spot-on tailoring, pops of color and mixed-prints co-mingled to create well-suited pairings.
To continue the the suiting theme, silk-velvet combinations were shown in black as well as red and deep violet jewel tones. Top hats, black gloves and canes served as accessories. A bold touch of fuchsia towards the end of the show added some spark in the form of two gowns, shown in strapless and one-shouldered designs.
Towards the end, gold shimmered with black as an anchor. This portion of the show had a modern appeal though inspiration seemed to stem from the twenties through the usage of beading and embroidery in flapper and column dresses.
And there it is, New York Fashion Week in a series of highlights from the beginning to the end. Until next season New York, we’re off to London!
Feb 12, 2011 – Amidst the hubbub and bustle of New York Fashion Week, bloggers aplenty have been capturing the stylish scene in the way only a blogger could. Blogging has made a permanent name for itself in the world of everything…namely, fashion. So shouldn’t they deserve their own recognition? Cue the MyHabit.com Bloglovin’ Awards of 2012. And the award goes to…
Leandra Medine, or the ‘ManRepeller’ as she’s coined herself (which is funny since she just recently got engaged to a man)…makes an acceptable mockery out of the fashion industry. She’s hilarious, witty, and knows all the good digs.
Werelse is a trio of international fashion blogging collaboration goodness. This superblog is comprised of Chiara Ferragni (of The Blonde Salad), Andy Torres (Style Scrapbook) and Carolina Engman (Fashion Squad). With three, you can’t miss a beat.
Everyone needs a hub of fashion news to cling to at every moment of the day. Fashionista won because they deserve it. Covering every rumor, fact, show, new release, and trend…it’s no wonder they took home the award.
Tommy Ton is worldly. Originally from Toronto, this successful photography decided to start his own street style blog in 2005 without looking back, and it’s paying off. His lens captures the intricacy of a costume and the beauty of the whole spectrum of style.
This Swede/Moroccan knockout won because she looks ridiculously gorgeous in everything and wears it well. Kenza is an entrepreneur, what with the blog and her own shoe and clothing collections (Wildflower and Jofama).
We’re hopping from New York Fashion Week to Social Media Week and loving every minute of it! Today we attended a panel entitled “How Street Style Blogs Affect Retail and Design” at Hearst Towers. The panel included a talented group of experts: Laura Brown, Jo Hillman, Kate Lanphear and Tamu McPherson.
A day of social media and fashion equals a great day. Alas, as the end of fashion week approaches and as sad as we are to see it go, our spirits were lifted once we saw today’s shows. From JBC to you, our top three picks of the day.
1. threeASFOUR – Is it wearable? Practical? Sensible? Probably not, but threeASFOUR’s Fall 2012 Collection is an artistic masterpiece that represents the avant-garde side of fashion week, a rare concept these days. Psychedelic, three-dimensional swirls constructed into dresses and over-sized jackets kept us intrigued and waiting for the next look to emerge. The cage-like apparatus used to construct boots and a green overlay in one look brought to mind rotating gears. Much like those used to operate automatons like the one in Hugo. Mixing a little fantasy with reality isn’t always a bad thing.
2. Michael Kors - A lush collection of warm knits and furs (shearling, raccoon and Mongolian lamb) at Michael Kors Fall 2011 RTW Collection prompted thoughts of cozy nights in snow-covered Aspen or a casual stroll during the peak of Winter through the concrete jungle that is NYC. When it comes to closet staples, Kors knows; and he delivers. The tailored pieces trickled in throughout the show along with the more formal dresses. Obviously, we were really feeling the furs.
3. Marchesa – William-Adolphe Bouguereau’s A Soul Brought to Heaven inspired the angelic gowns and dresses at Marchesa Fall 2012 RTW. Bouguereau (Nov.30, 1825 – Aug. 19, 1905), was a French painter known for creating an idealized world through his work. Using feathers, lace and tulle, the collection created a soft, angelic whisper as the models seemed to float on the runway. Angels on the runway? Georgina Chapman and Keren Craig of Marchesa came pretty close.
The perfect shade of red lipstick is like that red cherry on top of your ice-cream sundae: a luminous finish to any classic and polished look. Like all the vibrant colors of the rainbow, there exists an overwhelming selection of red hues from which to choose.
Would you classify yourself as a scarlet vixen or a crimson lover? This Valentine’s Day, the hunt for the perfect rogue lipstick ends! MAC’s intensely vibrant collection of red lipstick guarantees a luscious, dreamy pout.
”You must remember this, a kiss is just a kiss. A sigh is just a sigh. The fundamental things apply, as time goes by.” Sam, Casablanca
1. MAC Red $14.50 There is only one word to describe this vivid bluish–red shade: classic. It feels like utter satin upon your lips and it is all you need to glamorize any outfit, whether it be a simple tee shirt and denim combination or a more professional and formal pencil shirt and blouse. If you aim to turn heads everywhere you venture this is your signature shade. Wear it well and with caution. It is brilliant, dark, and daring!
Left to right:
2. Russian Red $14.50 This intense bluish-red shade is among the most popular MAC colors. It is a matte lipstick so there is minimal shine when applied; however, the color is absolutely brilliant. More suitable for an extravagant night out on the town than a day-time office wear, stand out amongst the crowd with this amazing crimson color. Another amazing benefit is the color is so bold it often has the effect of creating the illusion that your lips are fuller. What girl wouldn’t appreciate that!
3. Sin $14.50 For once, you can finally indulge in a little sin without the guilt. This deep dark blue-red matte lipstick veers from the traditional rouge red yet it is equally as appealing and beautiful. Containing components of both red and blue color it is derivative of a stunning royal purple with deep undertones. No matter the size and shape of your lips, accentuate your sexy smile with this unique and bold plum-purple color. Matching perfectly with the deep dark colors of autumn, you’ll be sure to melt hearts with your lavender lips.
4. Saint Germain $14.50 For those that desire a color less dramatic than the classic red this shade is the perfect answer. It is a clean pastel pink. Brighten up your face with this pretty pink color which compliments varying complexions. A few degrees darker than the customary baby pink, this color will inevitably become the staple accessory you’ll never go without as it goes hand in hand with the bright and beautiful colors of countless Spring collections.
5. Lady Bug $14.50 Need a good luck charm ladies? Paint your lips with MAC’s Lady Bug. This shade of red carries undertones of yellow and orange similar to the exquisite color of a ripe yellow garden tomato! Attending an outdoor party or anxiously awaiting the arrival of Spring? This bright and exotic color has an earthy yet vivacious feel and will make you the center of attention at any event!
6. Crème Cup $14.50 Yum..the name of this lipstick sounds more like a scrumptious pastry. The color is quite delectable as well, appearing as a shade a bit more neutral for women that desire a more natural sheen to their lips. It is a lighter blue-pink color that is perfect for a mid-afternoon tea party or a lovely date with that special someone.
7. Lady Danger $14.50 Beware ladies, this color is extremely dangerous! With the application of this fiery coral red matte lip color, you’ll instantly transform into the part of the femme fatale. The color is vivid and bright with deep orange undertones. If you want to make a powerful and bold statement, wear it in the evening for a night out filled with adventure.
8.Plink $14.50 Who doesn’t absolutely adore a pink lipstick to match the flushed apples of your cheeks! And with the imminent arrival of warm Spring days it is the perfect accessory for those loose flowing little dresses you’ll soon be digging out of your closet. Similar to the beige and earthy neutral colors of the beach, this lipstick is a warm seashell pink. The gleam on your lips is delightfully sweet. So perfect for a beautiful Spring day reminiscent of the sea shore.
9.Frou $14.50 This particular lip-stick color carries a definite sophistication and class. It is a subtle yet deep color you’ll have difficulty matching elsewhere. The color is magnificent; a soft beige with accents of silver shimmer running throughout. If the angelic look is what you’re looking to achieve, smooth this MAC shade across your naked lips and your face will emit a dewy warmth all day!
10.Impassioned $14.50 Last but certainly not least. If you consider yourself a dare-devil of some sorts, rock this amazing color which is nothing less than an amped-up fuchsia. Like the very name of the lipstick, it will leave you totally impassioned from within. Be confident ladies and accentuate your beautiful lips with eye popping color!
I became a recruiter because … After being recruited by JBCStyle for a temporary role with a fashion tradeshow! I was so inspired by their knowledge of and passion for the business that I eagerly pursued the opportunity to join the team and work under/learn from Jamie. I love having the ability to utilize my passion for art, culture and bringing people together while being constantly challenged by an ever-evolving industry.
Happy Valentine’s Day to all the New York Fashion Week lovers out there. Below, the collections we fell in love with. NYFW, you’re the best Valentine ever!
Sachin + Babi – Husband and wife team, Sachin and Babi Ahluwalia, are probably having the Valentine’s Day of their lives as they staged their first runway show today. The fairly new label used leather in it’s most delicate form to add edge to chiffon and other such fabrics. We feel the dresses below embody the theme of the collection and display a range of necklines, sleeves and straps. The double thigh-high slits (double sexy) are sure to be a red carpet favorite.
Naeem Khan – A strong connection to Indian culture was the root of this collection. According to Naeem Khan, “It started with a dot.” The dot he spoke of is the bindi, a red mark or jewel worn by Indian women to ward off evil or signify marriage. The idea of the bindi led to a collection inspired by Indian body art. Khan created a decadent assortment of gowns and separates using beads, appliques, patterns and textures. The beautiful collection electrified the runway in their movement, contouring silhouettes and plunging necklines or low backs.
Vera Wang – One can’t go wrong in Vera Wang; and ever since she sent black wedding dresses down the runway for her Fall 2012 Bridal Collection, she proved to be an innovator and forward thinker. For her Fall 2012 RTW Collection Wang continues to color outside of the lines and we love it! Not the most wearable collection but we can appreciate the originality and inventiveness. Until next time…